The idea behind this provision is to protect the "old" degrees from exclusion resulting from the Bologna reform. For example, it is not permitted to place additional requirements only on licentiates for admission to Ph.D. courses or further education courses.
For graduates holding a licentiate from the University of St.Gallen, this provision means specifically:
- The licentiate is equivalent to a Master of Arts without subject specification, i.e. a “Master of Arts HSG” or abbreviated “M.A. HSG” at the University of St.Gallen. As the content and structure of the new degree courses differ from the licentiate degree courses, no major (e.g. “Master of Arts in Business Administration” or similar) may be used. Other titles, such as “MBA HSG” or similar, may not be used either.
- The title “M.A. HSG” may be used as an alternative to the licentiate title. It is not permitted to use both the old and the new title on the same document, as this would falsely suggest a double degree.
- A diploma certificate conferring the title “Master of Arts HSG” cannot be issued. The original degree is and will remain the licentiate. The equivalence described above can be confirmed in writing.
- Furthermore, duplicates of licentiate diplomas can be petitioned in German and English. These are marked with “duplicate” and cost CHF 50.00 per copy.
The requirements and procedures are the same as for the confirmation of equivalence.
Equivalence confirmation of licentiates and Master’s degrees
The equivalence confirmation is issued in German and English and costs CHF 10.00. In order to process your enquiry quickly, we require the following information:
- Personal details (name, maiden name if applicable, first name) and address
- Matriculation number or date of birth
- Date degree was obtained and Major
You can place your order via the Payment Portal (see "quick links").
If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
For duplicates and translations of diplomas for further education courses, please contact the relevant institution (institute, Executive School). The Dean's Advisory Office is unfortunately unable to assist you in this manner.